Wednesday, February 8, 2017
Ilang araw na lang at Valentines Day na naman, muling mahahati sa dalawang grupo ang sangkatauhan: #TeamMayLoveLife at #TeamWalangLoveLife. Although may isang grupo pa na ang tawag ay #TeamLumaLoveLife, "renegade group" lang din yan ng ikalawang grupo pero pagdating ng February 14 magsi-sink in din sa kanila na imahinasyon lang ang lahat at walang ganun.
Ang blog post na ito ay hindi lamang para sa may BF/GF o may asawa. Kahit mga single ay may kapupulutan dito (sana) lalo na yung mga may nililigawan at nagpapaliligaw.
Ako ang unang magsasabi ng "weh?" o "E di Wow!" sa sinumang magsasabi na "Money doesn't matter in love" kasi naman... di ko na kailangan mag-explain dahil the mere fact na binabasa mo to, sigurado akong praktikal kang tao o medyo low budget for the coming Heart's day.
Kaya simulan na natin bago pa mawala interes mo sa pagbasa nito dahil sa mapalabok na pasakalye. Skip ko na stanza II at diretso na tayo sa chorus. Kaya dukutin na ang P20 sa pitaka at sipat-sipatin sabay kiss dahil ito ang susi mo sa mga tipid kilig dates na pwede mo nang i-try sa araw ng mga puso.
1. Mag-Sunday mass kayo. Sa Martes ang Valentines Day ngayong taon kaya expect mo na may mga hugot lines si Father about relationship sa sermon niya. Mag-reflect kayo o kaya pretend kinakasal kayo habang makaluhod. During offertory, laglag mo bente mo sa umiikot na box. Pati kay Papa Jesus may pogi points ka din.
2. Bili kayo two packs ng Cheese Ring (gawa ng Regent). Mag tagalog movie marathon kayo via Youtube. Suggestion ko classic films nila Sharon-Gabby, Marvin-Jolina o John Lloyd-Bea. Tas yun huling piraso ng Cheese Ring, i-save mo. Wait for the best movie scenes yun tipong nagkabalikan na mga bida o kaya naghahalikan na tas sabay suot mo yun cheese ring sa kanya with the cheesiest line you can think of. Hindi niya naman maintindihan yun basta kinikilig na siya.
3. Punta kayo party supplies shop and buy a pair of balloons yun may helium ha? Then go to a park. Write all your fears and shortcomings in your relationship on the balloon then make a vow that past is past and lahat ng pagkakamali nyo sa isat' isa are forgiven and you are looking forward for better days ahead sabay release ng balloon sa langit. Kanta kayo ng "Ako ay may Lobo" afterwards para cute at may konti humor yun moment.
4. Buy one order of Kwek Kwek (5 pcs for P15) tas limang pisong gulaman kahit wala nang sago in plastic with straw. Pwesto kayo sa bubong ng bahay. Subuan kayo kwek kwek. Tig-dalawa kayo. Sigurado magkakahiyaan kayo kung sino kakain ng pang-limang kwek kwek, tusukin mo agad ito at sabihin mo pikit siya at sabay say "ah" tas i-kiss mo siya and sabihin I love you sabay subo sa natitirang kwek kwek then whisper to her ear, "Ako na kakain ng extra cholesterol para mas humaba pa buhay mo."
5. Greeting cards. Kailan ka huling nagbigay ng love letter o Valentines card sa labs mo? Kala mo lang baduy o di na uso pero may mga babae at kahit na lalaki na sentimental fool na itinatago ang bawat papel na may sulat mo lalo na love messages pa galing sa iyo. Samahan mo na ng pick-up lines na bago like, "Tanga ka ba?! Bakit kasi yang gandang babae mong yan na mala-Dyosa e nahulog lang sa isang pangkaraniwang lalaking tulad ko."
6. Sa umaga ng Valentines day, madaling araw pa lang bili ka na ng pandesal sa bakery. Ask mo sa tindera baka merong pandesal na malapit ang hugis heart. Katok ka sa bahay ng mahal mo at sabihin mong sagot mo na breakfast nila for that day. Timplahan mo na din nung kape ang nanay at tatay ng syota mo para pa-impress. Kung magawa mong gawing hugis puso yung usok ng kape, try mo para lang yung sa commercial..
7. Bili ka dog/ cat food para sa pet ng mahal mo. Kung makikita niya na mahal mo ang alaga niya kahit palagi kang kinakahulan at kinakalmot, pogi points yun. Ask mo din siya kung pwede nyo paliguan alaga niya (ampanget pakinggan pero wholesome ibig kong sabihin). Tas magkakahawakan kamay nyo ng may sabon at pet shampoo... madulas at basa kayo pareho. Eh ano ngayon, nakabantay tatay e. Basta cute kayo habang basa kayo pareho, ayus na yun. Selfie na lang kayo.
8. Papalit kayo tig-lima at biritin mo sa Videoke haus yung theme songs nyo. Kahit wala sa tono sige lang. Iyak iyak ka na lang kunwari pag di mo na abot yung nota tipong emosyonal ka na. Mag-iyakan kayo, kailangan nyo yan. Praktis para pag hiwalay na kayo madali na (joke!).
9. Taya kayo sa lotto. Piliin nyo numero monthsary nyo tas birthday mo at birthday niya. Iba pang number choice options: araw ng una kayo nagkita, ilang beses na kayong nag-ano... nag-out of town. First kiss date, ilan nunal nyo combine, etc. Tas kung manalo pa kayo e di wow! Pakasal na kayo agad agad. Ginalingan nyo e.
10. Ipaglaba mo siya. Bili ka sabon, downy at clorox. Ang sweet nun habang pinipiga o ini-squeeze mo underwears niya. Praktis lang para pag totoo na diba. (Oy nakangisi parang naka-touchdown ka na ata ah). Basta ang cool lang pag pinaglaba mo mahal mo sa buhay habang kinakanta mo yung awit ng Shamrock na "Alipin."
11. Sakay kayo jeep tanong mo kay manong driver hanggang saan mararating ng P20 dun kayo ibaba. Tas lakad o takbo kayo pauwi kunwari fun run. Usap usap kayo habang pauwi about the best moments of your relationship. Walking down memory lane literaly ito.
12. Pa-load ka P20 sa cellphone yung regular ha? Text mo siya ng 19 sweet nothings. Siyempre maghihintay siya ng ika-20th kasi parang butal o bitin ang 19 diba. Punta ka na ngayon sa bahay niya at personal mong ibulong yung pinaka-sweet na 20th message mo sa kanya, "Parang tanga lang ako 'no? Ganyan ako dahil sa pagmamahal ko sa 'yo"
13. Pa-develop kayo ng best five photos nyo then i-compile nyo sa isang scrapbook at sabihin sa kanya, "Umpisa pa lang yan ng maliligayang araw natin together."
14. Diba ang love is sharing. Bili kayo tinapay o ano mang kakanin at ibigay nyo sa mga batang kalye na namamalimos. Busog na sila, busog pa ang mga puso dahil sa kabaitan nyo. Malay nyo isa sa mga batang yan ay lumaking pari na siyang magkakasal sa inyo o kaya fairy godmother pala in disguise tas bigyan kayo three wishes o kaya kutsaba pa ng Wish ko Lang, may extra reward pa kayo.
Ang mga tips na binahagi ko ay mula sa aking masusing pagiisip habang naipit sa traffic sa EDSA. Pwedeng sundin, pwede ring isabin pero aminin kahit paano ay may napulot din. Sa mga nagbasa habang sa last sentence na ito, I love you and Happy valentines!
Friday, December 30, 2016
2016 is one of the best years of my life!
This year marks memorable and major personal and family milestones in this journey of discovering the wonders and beauty of the world. Some of the unforgettable simple joys I achieved in the last 12 months includes scoring my first-ever “touchdown” in an inter-company patintero competition; conquered my fear of driving a car after more than a decade of avoiding the steering wheel due to a minor accident; and got promoted from being a contributing writer to a columnist for the Philippine Daily Inquirer.
I achieved these small victories on my 40th birth year which coincides with my only child Charles’ 7th birthday and 10th wedding anniversary with my dearest Leah.
Truly, I am very thankful to God for all the blessings that came my way in 2016. That’s why when I saw the AirAsia #ThankYou campaign video online, I was inspired to write about thanking someone who has rode and stuck with me in every bumpy and turbulent ride life had offered me. The clip was sincere and moving that it will make us realize that saying thank you is more than just an expression of appreciation but is also to tell someone that he has done well and should continue with his kind ways.
Being more close to my mother, I hate to admit it but I might have sometimes forgot to show my appreciation to my father and all the things he has done for our family. I hope that through this story that I will share, I would be able to really say the words I should have told him years ago. And what a perfect time to tell him this during this season of love and gratitude.
I’ve met people who consider their nice-looking cars or different gadgets as their prized possessions. Not my Tatay Momoy. For a simple man like him, his old but reliable hammer is his well-kept treasure. I want to share an anecdote that happened 10 years ago a few days before Christmas.
Tatay came here in Manila from Agoo, La Union in the late ‘60s as an innocent just-got-20-years-old man armed only with the tool he purchased using the money he have saved for years.
Good thing he easily got a job as a carpenter in Paco, Manila where he also met our future Nanay Conchit. To make the story short, they got married and had six children. I am the eldest and have witnessed how Tatay have raised this family for more than four decades and counting, though thick and thin.
I still remember my Tatay's way of expressing his appreciation every time I got high grades in school. When I was in third grade and entered top 10 in class, he made me a wooden scooter that was the “in” thing during those times. When I was second honor in 2nd year high school, he built me a pigeon house for my pets. I just can't remember if I even thanked him for all his efforts.
With Tatay Momoy, Nanay Conchit, my son Charles and my wife Leah
But of all the great things Tatay has given me, the one that he did in December of 2006 before my wedding day was the most memorable and touching of all. I just came home from work when Tatay approached me. He asked me to come with him and check something he made for the house I was building for my future family.
He led me to the kitchen and showed me a pink (favorite color of my wife) cabinet that he made under the kitchen sink. His voice sounded apologetic, “Pasensiya na anak ha? ‘Yan lang ang nakayanan ng Tatay. Wala pa kasi akong perang pambili ng wedding gift e.”
I know I wiped my eyes that time but I did not show it to him because I felt it was kinda corny. I can't minced a word to thank him because I might just burst into tears. But I know he knows I was very thankful that time with the way I reacted. I can’t help but smile when I saw a familiar fellow near the just finished cabinet --- the hammer that was used to build our home 40 years ago.
P.S. For the curious souls, below is a snapshot (almost) of the pink cabinet :-)
#ThankYou, Tatay Ko. Thank you for being the second tatay to my son Charles who you nurture with the same love (or even more) you have given me. If ever I’ll be blessed to win this blog contest sponsored by AirAsia Philippines, I will be able to finally fulfill one of your life-long dreams of being able to travel on a plane.
I prepared a list below of possible destinations you may want to consider. Pili ka na, Tay. I will hammer things out to make this possible. Promise, hindi mapapako.
Monday, July 11, 2016
For someone who has a full-time day job, my excitement for the weekends starts as early as Monday morning while trying to convince myself to rise up for work.
My Saturday lunchtime is booked all year round in front of the boob tube to watch my favorite noontime show ever since I learned how to open the TV. It’s been a lifelong routine which I think I will never get tired of doing. I am a proud laking Eat Bulaga happily married to someone who also grew up breathing the TVJ humor.
That’s why when Kalye Serye was born last year, we are one with the millions of dabarkads who followed the story through replays via YouTube and live broadcast on Saturdays when we don’t have work.
We love every member of EB especially the phenomenal love team of Alden Richards and Maine Mendoza that captured the hearts of every loving and sentimental Pinoys of all ages in and out of the country. That’s why this Saturday, after watching Eat Bulaga, my wife and I will have a movie date with our favorite pair.
The movie Imagine You and Me, shot in Italy, is a romantic film directed by Mike Tuviera that will be shown on July 13, 2016, three days before AlDub's 1st anniversary on July 16, under APT Entertainment, GMA Films, and M–Zet TV Production, Inc.
The movie also features Jasmine Curtis-Smith, Irma Adlawan, Yayo Aguila, William Martinez, Luis Alandy, Elijah Alejo, Cacai Bautista, Jerald Napoles and Cai Cortezas.
Last July 10, I was one of bloggers invited to the blogcon held at Relish, Tomas Morato, Quezon City as part of the promotion of the film.
For those who want to catch the happenings during the blogcon, watch this full coverage from Orange Magazine TV:
Monday, June 27, 2016
The face of my 7-year old son Charles lit up when I told him that we’ll spend Father’s Day in a hotel. He has always associated hotel with vacation, fun, family bonding, and a huge soft bed.
My wife and I both have full-time jobs so we make sure that our weekends are spent with our one and only child. We usually do food trips, go to the mall, or watch movies together on our day-offs. Hotel staycation is something we do during special occasions.
Every time we book an overnight stay in a hotel, we have a number of things to consider. More than what we adults want, it’s what will make our kid enjoy the moment that matters more. Is there a near mall, toy store or play/ activity area? Does the hotel accepts deliveries from fastfood shops? How big is the “huge soft bed?”
Many hotels definitely fits the bill but there is something in Linden Suites in Ortigas that made us decide that it’s the perfect place to spend Dad’s day this year. Well, this catchy meme that I saw on Facebook has something to do with it in a way.
And so on the afternoon of June 18, Saturday, I found myself inside the very comfortable and big 2-bedroom suites at Linden with the company of my brother-in-law, his wife and their son Nico. There was a big dining table at the middle of the room, two sofas, a CD component, a kitchen (with a ref, microwave oven and electric stoves) and still, we can ask 15 more people to join us and we have enough space to play tag. I’m not kidding.
One of the room has a queen-size bed with a comfort room featuring a bath tub (yay!) while the other one has twin beds with its own bathroom which has a shower cubicle.
Of course, how can we miss the covered swimming pool of Linden Suites? It’s kid-friendly because it’s just 4-feet deep plus a hawk-eyed lifeguard on standby anytime of the day. By the way, there’s Jacuzzi on the side of the big pool (yay again).
The pool is located on the 9th floor of Tower 1 of Linden where the gym is also situated. If you’re a health buff or someone who just want to do some lifting and stretching, you can stay at the gym where helpful assistants are on duty. The pool and gym are both open from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm every day.
While booked in Linden, our family decided to go out for a walk. We did not find it as a hassle to stroll along the busy street of Ortigas at night time because there are a lot of things to see. It is the home to shopping malls, office buildings, bars and restaurants, and hotels. We even have a harder time choosing where to shop: SM Megamall, Podium or St. Francis Square. In the end, we picked SM, or should I say our kids want it to be there because of Toy Kingdom.
After our dinner at the mall, we went back to our hotel room and had a movie night. Actually two different movie sessions: Disney movie for the children and we adults got to own the remote and go for HBO. Thank God we have two LED screens in the room.
When we woke up in the morning, we marvelled on the great view of Ortigas in a fine Sunday morning. Since the kids stayed wide awake last night, we agreed to just go by couple. A breakfast buffet was waiting for us at Mesclun restaurant at the 2nd floor of Linden. We definitely enjoyed international buffet and new dishes that were whipped up in the kitchen. I had a blast, especially my stomach, feasting on the Asian, European, and Mediterranean fusion cuisine that were served.
The staff members of Mesclun were also accommodating and understanding. When we informed them that we have kids in the room, they allowed us to bring a plateful of bread and jam and a glass of orange juice so we don’t need to go down again for their meals.
As much as we want to stay longer at Linden, we need to go home by 12 noon because of a lunch treat that we prepared for my father-in-law. While driving home, we never got tired discussing about our great hotel experience which we also shared to other family members. Definitely, we’ll be coming back soon. Indeed, life is sweet at Linden Suites.
The Linden Suites is located at 37 San Miguel Avenue, Ortigas Center, Pasig City. You may contact them via tel. no. +63 (02) 638.7878 or you may visit their official website www.lindensuites.com or like their Facebook fanpage www.facebook.com/LindenSuites.